On September 14, give your four-legged best friend a big hug because it is Hug Your Hound Day.
Created by canine behaviorist Ami Moore, the holiday encourages dog parents and owners to focus on their dogs’ health, safety and happiness. The unofficial holiday celebrates the special bond between dogs and their owners.
The day also aims at creating a more dog friendly environment in urban areas.
The holiday is also known as National Hug Your Hound Day in the United States. Another holiday for man’s best friend is Dog Appreciation Day.
How to Celebrate?
- Take your hound for a long walk or to the dog park to say hello to their friends.
- Treat them to their favorite treats.
- And of course, give them a big hug!
- If you have been thinking of bringing a dog in your life, take this day to visit your local shelter to see if you can adopt a dog.
- Don’t have the time or space to adopt a dog? What about volunteering your time and money to your local dog shelter. Spend the day bringing joy in the lives of dogs who are waiting to be adopted.
- If you are a business owner, take steps to make your business more dog friendly.
- Don’t have a dog, but love cats? Don’t worry, you have a holiday that you can celebrate with your feline friends: Hug Your Cat Day!
Did You Know…
…that pigs and dogs were the earliest domesticated animals in human history?