St Stephen’s Heritage Church Website

St Stephen’s Anglican ChurchThis old St Stephen’s website is the new home for the history of St Stephen’s Church since its first service on June 3rd, 1862 to until now. Any current events with historical significance included here are labelled as past perfect events.

*The past perfect refers to a time earlier than before now. 

On June 28, 2012 The Anglican Diocesan Council passed a Resolution  to merge St. Stephen’s and St. Mary’s Churches to form the Parish of Central Saanich. All current events at both churches can be found on their new website.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. ~  Kierkegaard

On February 11, 1862 William Thomson deeded five acres of his land to the Right Reverend George Hills, Bishop of British Columbia, for the purpose of building a church and a school. On June 3rd of the same year, the church held its dedication and first service.

In 1984 the church was designated a Heritage Building by the District of Central Saanich.